Wins for Richmond Buck and Catterick Garrison keep title race interesting

The race for the Wensleydale Creamery League title was blown wide open on Sunday with defeat for two of the teams many would consider to be the favourites.

This report is sponsored by:


Last year’s winners Richmond Mavericks were beaten 3-2 by Catterick Garrison, while Hawes – who had only lost once in the league previously – were beaten by Richmond Buck Inn.

Catterick entertained Mavs on a pitch still showing the scars from the game against Spenni a fortnight before.

Catterick were quickly out of the blocks and were camped in the Mavs last third in the early stages.

They were rewarded in the sixth minute when Tim Holland found himself owith space just outside the box. He shifted it onto his right foot and blasted against a brave Mavericks blocker.

The ball cannoned back to Holland and he had the presence of mind to open his body and play in Liam Walker on the right side of the box.

Walker strode forward and planted his shot low across the excellent Stephen Reed for a deserved  lead.

It was soon 2-0 after Fleming guided the ball into the corner of the net when he received a chipped pass from Jez Mortimer.

Catterick continued to dominate. The bigger lads of Mavs appeared to be struggling to stay upright on a soft pitch.

There was time for Mavs to pull one back before half-time when a long ball was allowed to bounce between midfield and defence, and the ball rebounded out to an attacker who found the net from close range.

The superb Reed in the Mavs net kept out a thunderbolt from Holland at full stretch, Clawing one out of his top left corner.

After some recent disappointing results Catterick were enjoying themselves and came in at half time with smiles on their faces.

The second half began with Catterick’s central midfield pairing of Jez Mortimer and Danny continuing to dominate, while the home side’s Andrew Constantine and James Boyle were managing to keep the usually prolific Nathan O’Conner and Adam Emson under control at the back.

Goal of the game came on the hour mark. Bailey released Deeney in the left channel with a sweeping pass. Deeney collected it wide before gliding passed two tackles and bending a beauty into the far corner of the net.

Emson then pulled one back for Mavs and had a chance to equalise but a combination of Catterick keeper Steven Files and young substitute Alfie Martin managed to keep the ball out.

With Hawes and Buck similarly placed in the league, there was a lot at stake going into their game.

Both managers knew losing was not an option if they were going to take advantage of games in hand on the teams above them.

And it was Buck that enjoyed the better opportunities in the first half, with Hawes starting slowly and never really getting a foot

Their pacey wingers Jacob Tate and Marshal Thorogood were at it from the start and both had opportunities from wide angles but their shots lacked power and accuracy.

Buck were showing quality in their approach play but it was in the final third that things were breaking down with rushes of blood to the heads.

Hawes did finally spring into life with Tom Wallis going close. Hawes started to get on top but nothing fell for the visitors all day with the final ball been inches out of reach. Tommy Calvert showed quality in the box to fashion an opening but dragged his shot wide which eventually went out for a throw in.

Next, Jonathon Champion had been played through and went down in the box under close attention from Michael Ingram.

Buck felt Champ should have been booked for diving and he was subsequently booked for a push on Ingram who had questioned his integrity.

After those scares Buck got back on it and captain Josh Wooff played a great cross in from the right, which evaded Thorogood’s attempt to connect with it by a matter of inches.

Buck then found the quality they had been searching for when Ingram’s inch perfect cross from the right was met by Wooff who headed unchallenged into the net.

Buck then really laid it on and had a spell of intense pressure which left their supporters drooling but ultimately ended in skied shots and a slim half time advantage.

Hawes started the second half stronger, with half time sub Jordon Iverson making a difference up top and combining well with Champion, a narrow offside decision denied a goal scoring opportunity, although Buck felt Ryan Howe had been fouled in the build up.

Buck centre halves Howe and Scott Wallace had to be at their best to repel balls into the box and runners coming through, as well as putting their bodies on the line.

Player manager Stewart Fotheringham was making rallying calls to his troops and leading by example, snapping at the heals and out muscling his opponents, and made a fine block from an Iverson shot.

Hawes pressure eventually told on 75 minutes after Brett Calvert pinged an inch perfect switch to Jonathon Champion, who brought it down, cut inside and curled the ball around the Buck keeper.

Hawes from then on looked the more likely to go on and win the game. With five minutes to go Tommy Calvert swung a ball to the back post where Champion was waiting but he couldn’t keep his effort down and blazed over.

Buck still carried a threat though and another good pass from Buck man of the match David Addison played in Wooff, whose mazy run eventually ended in disappointment after his shot was blocked.

With the clock ticking into injury time a Buck break away from a Hawes corner saw substitute Michael Slater racing away down the right and his cross evaded the back tracking Hawes defenders and found Wooff at the back post to gleefully tap in for victory.

After a cagey start, Colburn took the lead in their game at Reeth on 18 minutes when a pinpoint ball in from Luke Hamilton was dispatched via a diving header from Callum Sheridan.

Less than ten minutes later, Stuart Murray pinched the ball off Reeth’s centreback, and coolly put Colburn two up.

Five minutes later it was 3-0 when Murray was found by a defence-splitting ball from Rory Wallace, and made no mistake.

Just before half time, Colburn made the game totally safe. Ashley McInerney set up Murray for a first half hat-trick, which made it 4-0 at the interval.

The second half began quietly with Colburn stroking the ball round, without threatening Reeth too much.

Colburn made three quick substitutions after the hour and two of the replacements combined after 79 minutes to carve out Colburn’s fifth, Gary Hutchinson the provider, and Craig Teasdale the finisher.

A couple of minutes later,the third sub, Jamie Dempster, scored the sixth when Callum Henney pinged a diagonal ball to him, and the scoring was completed when Sheridan and Teasdale joined forces, leaving Teasdale to put away the seventh and final goal of this rout.

Elsewhere, in form Leyburn beat Richmond Academy 5-3.

Goals from Brandon Acton, Ryan Alderson, Keifer Bottomley, Liam Davison and Kalem Stanger sealed the points for Leyburn.

Spennithorne and Hamby ensured Carperby remain pointless with a 2-0 away win. Their goals came from George Shaw and a Tony Beales penalty.



Results – 10.02.18

Carperby Rovers 0 – 2 Spennithorne & Harmby

Catterick Garrison Football Centre 3 – 2 Richmond Mavericks

Leyburn Town 5 – 3 Richmond Town Academy

Richmond Buck Inn 2 – 1 Hawes United

Reeth & District Athletic Club 0 – 7 Colburn Town

Fixtures- 17.02.18

Medals Shield Semi-Finals

Leyburn Town v Colburn Town

Richmond Buck Inn v Richmond Mavericks


Hawes United v Spennithorne & Harmby

Richmond Town Academy v Catterick Garrison Football Centre

Unicorn FC v Reeth & District Athletic Club