Wins for Unicorn and Richmond Mavericks ensure title remains a contest

Unicorn and Richmond Mavericks both won convincingly on Saturday to ensure the title race remains a contest.

This report is sponsored by:

Unicorn beat Spennithorne 8-1, with old Spenni boy Liam Reeves getting a hat-trick . Mark Sims also got three, while the other two were scored by Matthew Bateson and Ryan Crowther.

James Smith got the Wensleydale team’s only goal.

Elsewhere, Mavs travelled to Richmond Buck 6-1 with six different players all scoring for the visitors.

They were Reuben Bainbridge, Andrew Pritchard, Richie Bastow, Ryan Howe, Anthony Weighell and Kalem Stanger.

Michael Ingram got the only goal for the Buck.

Academy travelled to the Wensleydale School to play Leyburn in misty conditions but with a determination to react to last weeks disappointing display against Unicorn.

Academy started brightly with Simpson and Lewington causing problems down the wings, Simpson created the first chance with a cross which Wayne Gredziak should have converted.

Academy had 4/5 good chances in the half but kept hitting them straight at the keeper. Leyburn took the lead through Ryan Alderson after a mix-up at the back but Academy still felt like they could get back into it.

A Lewington corner was heading towards the top corner from a Spence header only for the ref to miss the goal-line handball to keep it out. The on the stroke of half time Simpson was pulled back in the box but naively stayed upright and the ref waved away the protests.

To make matters worse Leyburn broke down the other end and were awarded soft penalty which was dispatched past Spensley by Scott Greenway

An injury to Spence meant a half time change with Donoghue coming on to add a little more attacking threat from left back.

The game changed on 55 minutes when Brandon Gredziak was brought on to add some more legs to the tiring midfield.

Five minutes later Simpson made another surging run into the box and this time went down after drawing the foul, Gredziak stepped up to fire home.

Three minutes later it was all square, another great run from Simpson and he slipped in Gredziak to finish from a tight angle.

Both sides pushed for a winner and in injury time the younger Gredziak drove forward and slipped the ball to Lewington who crossed for Gredziak senior to head home and spark joyous scenes amongst the boys in blue.

Hawes had the better of a tight first half without really troubling the home keeper in their game against Carperby.

Carperby then started the second half much stronger, however it was Hawes who took the lead through a 40-yarder from skipper Brett Calvert.

Within a few minutes it was 1-1 as Carperby equalised.

However, the game was won by Hawes y two fine individual efforts.

The first was a great strike from the edge of the box from Hawes man Tommy Calvert. Jordan Iveson then settled the game after a superb run and smart finish.

Catterick scored with a minute gone through Liam Walker in their game at home to Reeth.

The visitors looked to have weathered the storm, as that solitary goal separated the teams with half-time approaching.

However, two quick-fire goals on 41 and 44 minutes from Walker and Scott Turner saw the home side pull away.

Reeth struck first in the second half, with Sam Lyon’s 56th minute close-range effort rolling in off the post.

At 3-1, the visitors were back in the match, but again a volley of quick goals stretched the scoreline in the home side’s favour.

While Mark Butcher in the Reeth goal did well with some good shot-stopping, they were too slow to clean up the loose balls.

Turner finished with a hat-trick as Catterick ended up winning the game 7-1.



Carperby 1-3 Hawes

Catterick Garrison 7-1 Reeth

Leyburn 2-3 Richmond Town Academy

Richmond Buck Inn 1-6 Richmond Mavericks

Unicorn 8-1 Spennithorne


Fixtures – 26.1.19

Catterick Garrison v Richmond Buck

Colburn v Richmond Town Academy

Hawes v Richmond Mavericks

Unicorn v Carperby