Woman rescued from house fire caused by chip pan

Photo: North Yorkshire Fir and Rescue Service.

Firefighters rescued a woman from a house fire this morning after a blaze caused by a chip pan.

Crews from Colburn and Richmond attended the incident in Catterick Road, Colburn, at about 3.30am.

The fire was reported responded by a neighbour who was alerted by a smoke alarm.

A spokesperson for North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “On arrival crews were met with a small fire in the kitchen and heavy smoke logging in the property.

“The incident commander was told that two occupants and the dog had already escaped the property but one female was still missing.”

Four firefighters in breathing apparatus were tasked with extinguishing the fire and searching the property.

They then rescued the female from the house.

She was checked over by ambulance crews for smoke inhalation.

Crews then used a positive pressure ventilation van to get the smoke out of the property.

The fire resulted in 80% fire damage to the kitchen and 100% smoke damage throughout the property.

The cause of the fire was a chip pan that had been left on the hob and not been properly turned off.

The spokesperson added: “We strongly advise that you don’t used chip pans, if your cooking chips use a deep fat fryer or use the oven.

“Deep fat fryers have a thermostat that regulates the temperature of the oil, allowing it not to overheat.

“We also advise everyone to have a night time routine.

“Shut every door in the property, prevents smoke damage and fire spread.

“Always turn off and unplug electrical appliances unless they are designed to be left on, like your freezer.

“Always keep door and window keys where everyone can find them, always turn heaters off and put up fire guards and always keep exits clear.”

To get a fire safety check in your home, click here.